Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Happy moments presented unexpectedly, considerably boost happiness



Being promoted or recognized for a well done work represents a happy moment for an employee. However, if these happy moments happen unexpectedly (by surprise), the employee’s happiness levels are more intense, making the moment more remarkable, than if it was expected.


An example which illustrates this process is given by the ex-manager of one of the biggest dating websites:     
  
“Today was a very happy moment for me because on my last day in the firm my colleagues surprised me with a video with many moments we had together all these years. I felt happy because I felt loved. I felt that my presence in this company left a mark on my colleagues”.

Another example which illustrates these feelings is given by an HR manager at a global research, consulting and training firm:

“When I came to the office the day after my house was robbed, my colleagues had chipped-in some money with the hugest contribution being made by the company in order to help me with the house’s expenses. In that moment I felt very happy because of my colleagues’ warmth and care for me”.

Both examples indicate how unexpected happy moments do not only increase happiness, but also make the employee feel loved, valued and appreciated. This is because the person who makes the surprise puts energy and effort to prepare this moment, which shows care and concern. Therefore, happy surprises also enhance the bonds between the person who receives and who gives the surprise.


In comparison to European countries, in Brazil, surprises tend to happen more often. Even though a characteristic which makes surprises special is that they are infrequent, this rule does not seem to apply for the South American country. It seems there are plenty of employees feeling happy and appreciated through the creative ideas their colleagues come up with, to surprise them with beautiful and well-deserved happy moments.  

In fact, employees who feel loved, valued and appreciated work better, are happier, motivated and have less probabilities to leave the job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment