Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bosses have a great influence on employee's behaviours


Good leaders can help their employees to be more effective and happy at work by showing benevolence and concern towards the personal and professional needs (e.g. self-development and achievement). Moreover, leaders with good mood, generate a ripple effect in their subordinates making them more effective creative and less stressed.

"Normally the companies I have worked for, put results before people. However, my current employer proved my dream to be reality. When I became HR manager, I began to report to the CEOand it was a happy moment, because he was an example of leader who puts people before results". 
                                          HR manager from a global bank institution


People don't quit companies; they run away from bosses

In most of the cases, leaders who are aggressive and indifferent to their subordinates’ needs and well-being end up making the employee quit the organization.  A bad leader who does not shows concern for the desires of achievement or well-being from his subordinates can strongly affect their motivation and engagement. 



"I remember when I accepted to help a firm’s director with a training program for new employees, since I had experience for doing this in my past job. However, when I communicated this to my boss he coldly answer: “Focus on your job and nothing else”. I saw my boss and realized that I was not going to find the opportunity to learn more with him, because he was not interested in his job either in the fact that I could learn more. This moment showed me the risk that a boss could represent for a firm. This is because I, as an employee, interpreted the behaviour of my boss as being representative of the whole organization. Indeed I felt unhappy in a company which was denying me the space to do something new. This was the main reason why I decided to leave the organisation".



HR Manager in a world leading consulting company


No comments:

Post a Comment